Last week was packed! Documenters covered an update from the Consent Decree Monitoring Team and a discussion about affordable housing. They also captured a city decision to switch some electricity accounts away from FirstEnergy, just in time to avoid a steep rate increase this summer. Check out the details in this week’s episode… in less than five minutes!
Hosted by Lawrence Caswell.
Listen to this week’s Public Meetings Report here:
Signal Cleveland meeting briefs:
- Cleveland committee members discuss options for building more affordable housing
- Cleveland City Council learns about city’s police monitor
- Forgivable home-repair loans approved for Cleveland’s southeast side
- Cleveland swaps electric providers head of FirstEnergy rate hike
Signal Cleveland reporting:
- Cleveland prepping $15 million investment for Southeast Side (Signal Cleveland, May 2023)
- “Tales To Demystify: Not Welcome Here” comic series by John G
- Cleveland to join new electric aggregator, but delays could cost FirstEnergy customers (Signal Cleveland, May 2023)
- Live Tweet Thread, Electricity Aggregation Program Public Hearings
- Live Tweet Thread, Utilities Committee
- Cleveland’s Board of Control Votes To Spend Taxpayer Money. What is it? (Signal Cleveland, November 2022)
- Ordinance to allot $5 million to Habitat for Humanity
- Ordinance to remove the former juvenile justice center’s landmark status
- Ordinance to create a home repair and rehabilitation loan program for the Southeast Side.
- Ordinance to allot $5 million to develop commercial corridors on the Southeast Side
- Ordinance to approve $5 million to prepare vacant sites for development
- Ordinance approving $5 million to begin development on the Irishtown Bend Park
- Ordinance to allot $3 million to design the North Coast Connector along the lakefront
- Board of Control Meeting Agenda
- Board of Control Electric Provider Swap Resolution
- Cleveland City Council Committee of the Whole meeting, May 31, 2023
- Safety Committee meeting, May 31, 2023
- Development, Planning, and Sustainability Committee meeting, May 30, 2023
- Cleveland Board of Control meeting, May 31, 2023
- Cleveland City Council
- Cleveland Police Monitoring Team
- 2015 federal consent decree.
- The Cleveland Police Monitoring Team’s latest progress report
- Community Police Commission’s summary on the monitoring team’s latest report
Side Hustle: Mikael Ellis works four jobs focused on the LGBTQ+ community (video)
By Jeff Haynes
Mikael Ellis has purposely decided to work at businesses that either primarily cater to LGBTQ+ patrons or have a large clientele from this community.
The Public Meetings Report is a weekly audio rundown of what happened in local government meetings here in Greater Cleveland – in five minutes or less! The show is based on the work of Cleveland Documenters – residents like you who are trained and paid to document these meetings for the public. Produced by Signal Cleveland, Cleveland Documenters and WOVU 95.9 FM.