Stay informed with daily updates from Signal Cleveland and Cleveland Documenters
It’s Cleveland budget season! The city is required by law to pass a balanced budget each year. That means the city can’t spend more money than it takes in.
Every February, the mayor sends City Council a detailed estimate of the administration’s budget recommendations. Council then holds day-long hearings to question city officials, and to discuss and debate how the public’s money is spent.
Besides setting Cleveland budget priorities, these hearings are the public’s opportunity to learn about nearly every department, division, and program in the city. From the Division of Police to the Boxing and Wrestling Commission (it exists!). Some of it is obscure. Some of it is wonky. And there are lots of Cleveland budget numbers to digest. But the information shared can be useful for helping residents understand city government and hold it accountable.
Signal Cleveland and Cleveland Documenters will be at the hearings each day, sharing what’s important, explaining the process and adding context.
Cleveland budget resources:
- Daily budget hearing highlights will feature highlights from our reporters and Documenters on assignment. Plus, breakdowns of budget numbers, notable quotes, questions and more.
- Reporting on the budget you can trust with insight behind the debates, context on the numbers and conversations with city officials.
- Meet your Cleveland City Council Members. During budget hearings council members will ask questions to city department and division directors and commissioners.
- Cleveland budget explainer including a guide to the steps in the process.
- An overview of key numbers in Mayor Bibb’s budget proposal.
Cleveland budget updates
Welcome to week two of General Fund budget hearings! Cleveland City Council is picking up where they left off after enjoying a much-needed budget-hearing-free Presidents’ Day.
More budget news
Meet your Cleveland City Council members
Here’s some numbers from the mayor’s budget proposal:
Mayor Bibb’s 2023 Cleveland budget estimate:
Click the image below to open the estimate in a new browser.